Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Easter Weekend

The week after Paris was great I got to see all my new friends from Greece when we went out in Florence. That Thursday I went to church at night for Holy Thursday mass at the Duomo. It was definitely the coolest mass I have ever been to. At the end of the mass they brought a clothed shrine type of thing that is meant for kings and queens down the  nave towards the back of the church then back up one of the side isles towards the tabernacle thought tho procession all of the people that attended mass got to follow. Everything that is said and done in the Duomo feels so much more spiritual than any other church I have been in. It might have something to do with the fact that mass was in Italian but I am not 100% sure.
That night Makenzie and I took out our roommate's friends from home that were visiting because they had left for the weekend. We all had a blast. On Friday I gave myself a personal day and caught up on sleep, went on the longest run all throughout Florence, did some laundry and met up with my cousin for some dinner out at our favorite pizzeria. Then on Saturday I woke up and went on a run with my cousin and then we went and did some grocery shopping followed by just hanging out in my apartment for some beef stir fry and 90"s music hits flashback dancing. It was an absolute blast.




Then the next day I woke up and got to go on another long and relaxing run.  Then in the afternoon, my cousin and I went to the Baboli Gardens.  I was expecting them to have a lot more flowers, but was too early in the season for them to have grown.  Everything was still very beautiful even without the flowers.  I plan on going back later on in the semester when the flowers are in bloom.  We also got to go into a fashion museum where they display dresses from the past few centuries of what was in style at the time.  Some of the dresses were very funny looking, and others I would love to be able to try on. 
On Easter Sunday I woke up and attended mass at the Duomo with my cousin. Right after mass there was a festival in Pallazo Duomo. We got to see four ox pull out a carriage where the fireworks were stored that they were going to set off. There were also many men in colorful uniforms doing a gun show and marching around. Everything was so cool! There were so many people crowded around watching what was going on and the Italians that live in the piazza were watching from their window or the rooftop. The only bad thing about this day was that it starting down pouring right before they were going to set off the fireworks. Because it was raining they had to delay the fireworks and since it was so cold outside we decided to go back to my cousins apartment. We ended up making brunch for ourselves. It consisted of cinnamon French toast, scrambled eggs, pastry, oj, and fresh fruit. We did a great job and everything was delicious. After brunch we just sat in bed and watched movies the rest of the afternoon. We ended up skyping my aunt, her mother, for a little while since at this time it was morning in the USA and wished each other a happy Easter. After I went straight home and attempted to do some homework. It was very unsuccessful considering my professor emailed our class saying that she was postponing our paper that was due on Tuesday to the following Tuesday. I was so happy that I couldn't even work on it. Then I got ready for Easter dinner with my cousin. We want to aqua al due and got a pasta sampler and we each got a steak. I got this delicious blueberry steak, yeah it might not seem appetizing at first but it was one of the most flavorful, interesting and bet steaks I've had in my life. I wish I had the recipe for it so I could make it when I go home. After dinner we went back to my cousins house again where we skyped our entire family that was at my house celebrating Easter. After that I went back to my apartment where I skyped with my dad's side of the family and got to see all my cousins aunts and grandparents it was so exciting to get to see them all. It turned out to be a fantastic Easter weekend in Flotown and I thoroughly enjoyed every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment