Friday, April 6, 2012

Greece: Athens







The overnight bus to Athens was one of the worst bus rides of my life.  The bus driver would not turn off the heat and it is impossible for my to sleep when my body is too hot.  It got to the point where I was bus sick and felt so nauseous that I had to go to the front of the bus and sit next to the bus driver where he finally turned off the heat and put on the air.  As soon as we got to the hostel we got about ten minutes to freshen up before the guides took us on a walking tour of the city.  We got to see all of the government buildings, the temple of Zeus, and the Acropolis.  I was amazed at everything that I saw.  It was unbelievable, because these are the places that I have always wanted to see. After the tour we went back to the hostel to get ready for dinner.  There were about 110 of us on this trip and we all went to dinner together to this Greek restaurant.  We were served about 5 courses: bread, cheese, salad, calamari, and our main course.  I chose to have the moussaka for something new.  It was good, but not my favorite meal.  I am happy that I tried it though.  The next day in Athens we all went to the beach.  It was probably my favorite day of the entire trip.  It almost reminded my of camp with all the activities I did at the beach.  The first thing I did was go on a run with my friend Mick.  The beach didn't have good sand for running, it was mainly little rocks, but we did it anyways.  It was so painful our feet were hurting the rest of the day.  After the run we jumped in the water to cool off and then it was time for some volleyball.  My friends Makenzie, Ross, Nick, Bryce, and myself were playing for a few hours until the ball accidentally hit a woman on the head... that was the end of that game.  Then Makenzie and I went on about a mile swim along the shore and walked back.  By that time I was ready for a catnap until we left to take the metro back to the hostel.  Later on that night we got to go out to dinner to another Greek restaurant where they played Greek music and did a lot of dancing.  After dinner the guides took us back to the Acropolis so we could see it lit up at night, and then took us to the top of a huge rock point for a view of Athens at night and got to hang out there.  The next morning we had to wake up at five to leave for Santorini!

No comments:

Post a Comment